For Chicken on the Bone
Oven Fried Chicken
1/2 cup corn meal or all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Heat the oven to 425. Wash the chicken and dry with a paper towel. Mix the flour and seasonings in a large plastic bag then shake the chicken pieces in it (one or two at a time). Place the chicken skin side down
in a pyrex cooking dish 13x9x2 (or similar oven type dish). Cook 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook another 30 minutes or until tender. (Legs and thighs can be done in about 25 minutes each side.)
Parsley Flakes (dried works better than fresh)
Set the oven to broil (or 550). Wash and dry the chicken. Squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon. Add some olive oil and some parsley flakes to the lemon juice. Place chicken skin side down on the broiler pan. Brush with the lemon mixture. Broil about 6 inches away from heat. Broil for about 20 minutes, rebrushing the chicken as needed half way through. Then turn chicken over and brush with more lemon mixture on the other side and broil for another 20 minutes or so, rebrushing as needed.
Chicken and Potatoes Oregano
- 6 small potatoes (or 3 medium) - (approx 1.5lb?)
- 1 small onion
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 thighs (may be approx. 2 1/4 lb)
- dried oregano
- Preheat (large, at least 12") electric skillet to "medium" (325? 375?)
- Cut potatoes into cubes, mince onions
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray (or butter)
- add thighs, skin side down, brown for about 15 minutes, turning over after about 10 minutes
- melt butter
- add potatoes, onion, celery, turn thighs
- sprinkle salt and pepper, oregano (be generous with the oregano)
- cook 15 min. turning potatoes often with a pancake spatula (**I found this slightly tricky as chicken covers pretty much all the potatoes, kind of have to lift the chicken out one piece at a time to do this). May cover in between stirring the potatoes.
- Turn thighs, cover, and cook 10-15 more minutes until well browned and fork tender.
Suggested sides: A salad and bake and serve french bread
Chicken with Yogurt Gravy
Note: the proportions on this recipe may not be quite perfect yet, as the original recipe card did not list quantities.
- 1 Package Chicken Thighs (approx 4-6 thighs) with skin and bones
- Seasonings: 1 tsp? Rosemary, 1/2? tsp salt, 1/4? tsp pepper
- Liquids: Olive oil, White cooking wine and/or water, 1/2? lemon (squeezed)
- Plain yogurt (1 cup?)
- Rice: Brown/Wild Rice Blend: approx 1/4-1/3 cup per person, 1.5 to 2 cups for full recipe.
- carrots, yellow squash, zucchini (approx 1-2 each, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds)
- Cooking the brown and wild rice blend according to rice package directions (takes approx 45 min to cook after water boils).
- Preheat large skillet to medium (or use dutch oven). Wash, and pat dry the chicken.
- Brown chicken in oil. Season with salt, pepper, and rosemary. (it is browned when it looks cooked on the outside of the chicken, this should take approx 5-10 minutes per side, flip periodically)
- Add cooking wine, water (1/4 cup), and lemon. Simmer covered slowly until tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a seperate pot, steam the veggies (carrots, yellow squash, zucchini) according to steamer pot directions.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, move chicken to serving platter, save liquid.
- Blend cooked liquids into plain yogurt until a nice gravy consistency is achieved (approx half yogurt, half chicken broth)
- Serve chicken, rice, veggies, and gravy in seperate serving dishes.
Variations: use a dry sauterne wine or beer instead of lemon and water. Use sour cream instead of yogurt.
Return to Jessica's Recipe Corner