Cooking Time: 15-20 min.
Temp: degrees 450 degrees
|| all-purpose flour
(approx. 2/3 or a stick)
||butter or non-stick cooking spray
|1 or 2 quarts
|| fresh strawberries
||sugar (per quart of strawberries)
||French Vanilla Ice Cream (or use whipped cream)
- Prepare Topping:
- Remove stems of strawberries with paring knife.
- Slice the strawberries in a food-processor with the thin slicing disk.
- Move strawberries to a pyrex bowl or similar.
- Sprinkle sugar for topping on strawberries.
- Let sit (approx 1 hour).
- Prepare Shortcake:
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease round pyrex pie dish (8") with butter or cooking spray.
- Measure and mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in shortening (butter) until the mixture looks like a fine meal.
- Stir in milk until just blended.
- Pat dough into pie dish evenly, press the center down just slightly as the center will rise more than the edges. Smooth the top if you would like a thinner/even crust, leave lumpy if you prefer a more crisp/textured crust.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until lightly golden-browned.
- Slice warm shortcake into 8 slices like a pie.
- Slice each slice in half horizontally like you would a roll or biscuit, then top with strawberries and ice cream
Serves up to 8 people.
Jessica's Homepage -> Jessica's Recipe Corner -> This Recipe